Concentration in Creative Writing | BA English
SPRING 2021 CREATIVE WRITING CONCENTRATON
Fiction & Poetry Portfolios due: Monday, March 22, 2021 by 11:00pm
The Creative Writing Program encourages all interested students, regardless of their field of study, to join our community of writers through beginning and intermediate workshops in fiction and poetry (ENG 287/ENG 288 , ENG 387/ENG 388), diverse special topics courses (ENG 394/ENG 494), and various, exciting writing events held on campus.
Interested students*, who have already taken beginning and intermediate workshops, and are committed to continuing their study of Creative Writing, have an opportunity to develop their skills in supportive, highly focused workshops through the Creative Writing Concentration. Instruction in the tradition(s) to which concentration students can aspire and uphold, and from which they may draw inspiration, will be provided by the Creative Writing Program's nationally recognized faculty of writers.
Please note that acceptance into the Creative Writing Concentration is restricted. Students must submit a portfolio for review and be offered a seat in the advanced workshops. (Please see the "Portfolio Review Guidelines" below.)
*Students interested in pursuing both fiction and poetry at the 400-level, must check with thier academic advisor to ensure that the necessary courses (ENG 487, ENG 488, ENG 498: Fiction, ENG 498: Poetry) will fit their degree plan. Students must submit two portfolios--one in fiction, one in poetry--to be considered for admittance into advanced coursework in both areas.
Students pursuing the Creative Writing Concentration must either select as thier major the bachelor's in English with a concentration in creative writing upon being admitted to ASU or, after entering the university, meet with an English advisor to change to this major and concentration.*
*Non English-majors will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis
- To complete the concentration, English majors who have already declared themselves in the creative writing concentration must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher in their major.
- Concentration students must complete the two advanced courses in their genre (ENG 487 and ENG 498 in poetry, or ENG 488 and ENG 498 in fiction). Note that enrollment into these courses is restricted. Spaces are limited. Students must submit a portfolio and be selected to move forward. (See the "Portfolio Review Guidelines" below.)
- Transfer students must seek advisement as to whether they will be able to successfully fulfill the creative writing concentration requirements.
PLEASE NOTE: Students admitted to begin 400-level coursework through the Fall 2020 Portfolio Review will start their coursework in Spring 2021. ENG 488 (fiction) will be taken in the Spring semester. The capstone course, ENG 498, will be taken in the Fall 2021 semester. ENG 487/488 and ENG 498 may not be taken simultaineously.
- The next portfolio review for fiction will be offered in Fall 2019. The next portfolio review for poetry will be offered in Spring 2020.
DEADLINE: Portfolio Review Fall 2020
- Fiction Portfolios Accepted
- When: Submit portfolio by 4:00 PM on Wednesday, November 4, 2020
- Where: email portfolios to email@example.com
- All documents must be submitted via email with the Subject Line: Last Name + CW Concentration
Bachelor of Arts in English with concentration in Creative Writing Checksheet - ba_english_creative_writing.pdf
To receive further information about the bachelor's in English with a concentration in creative writing, make an appointment to speak with English undergraduate advisor at 480-965-3168.
You may also contact Creative Writing Program Manager, Justin Petropoulos (firstname.lastname@example.org), RBH 152.