Writing, Rhetorics and Literacies (Minor)
Learn how to turn words into actions. Improve your communication skills and enhance your professional qualifications and career prospects, readying yourself to help change the world.
The minor in writing, rhetorics and literacies teaches students strategies for inquiry.
Students study the ways in which communication creates knowledge and action and how that communication is constructed, circulated, reacted to and repurposed through time and place. Through differing tools of inquiry, students explore the history, theories and methods of inquiry as well as pragmatic and social actions of rhetoric, writing and literacies.
The goal of this program is to educate citizens who can create new knowledge and reason, read, write and act in robust and significant ways to meet the new challenges of the present and the future.
At a Glance: program details
- Location: Tempe campus
- Additional Program Fee: No
- Second Language Requirement: No
GPA Requirement: None
Majors Ineligible to Add This Minor: BA in English - all concentrations
Other Enrollment Requirements: None
Current ASU undergraduate students may pursue a minor and have it recognized on their ASU transcript at graduation. Minor requirements appear on the degree audit once the minor is added. Certain major and minor combinations may be deemed inappropriate by the college or department of either the major program or the minor. Courses taken for the minor may not count toward both the major and minor.
The minor in English with a focus in literature consists of 18 credit hours. At least 12 credit hours must be completed at the upper-division level, with a minimum of six upper-division credit hours from courses offered by the Department of English in The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. A grade of "C" (2.00 on a 4.00 scale) or higher is required in all courses taken for the minor.
Required Courses (choose 3) -- 9 credit hours
- ENG 206: Introduction to Literary Studies (3)
- ENG 304: Critical Theories and Methods (3)
- ENG 332: Studies in Race and Ethnicity in Literature and Culture (3)
- ENG 349: Global Literary Studies (3)
- ENG 350: Studies in Literary Histories and Traditions (3)
- ENG 384: Studies in Gender and Sexuality in Literature and Culture (3)
- ENG 444: Topics for Interdisciplinary Study of Literature and Culture (3)
- ENG 491: Topics for Advanced Research (3)
Electives -- 9 credit hours
- ENG 2** Elective or ENG 3** Elective or ENG 4** Elective (3)
- ENG Upper Division Elective (6)
Prerequisite courses may be needed in order to complete the requirements of this minor.