The Department of English's High-Impact Internship Award will be awarded again in spring 2021. Application deadline: March 1
What is the High-Impact Internship Award?
Students interested in non-profit, government, advocacy, or social service work greatly benefit from internship experiences in their fields. While these internships are of extraordinary value to the student, to their organizations they serve, and ultimately, to the greater social good, they are often unpaid and in fact, students typically register and pay tuition for the credits they receive.
The High-Impact Student Internship Award will help offset this burden; it will not only recognize student initiative and achievement, it will provide a small economic incentive for students engaging in nonprofit work.
Who is eligible?
Undergraduate or graduate students in the Department of English at ASU who are completing internships for academic credit (any number of credits) with a high-impact factor internship provider* are eligible to apply. The internship must be unpaid and can have been completed during the summer, fall, or spring of the current academic year.
How much will be awarded?
Award amounts in 2021 will be $1,000 each. It is expected that future awards may be similar.
How do I apply?
Students receiving internship credit in the Department of English must submit the following by 11:59 p.m. on Mar. 1, 2021, using the link below:
- A 500-word statement about the student's purpose in choosing the internship and how it fits with their academic or career goals. The focus should also be on how this work will be of benefit to the community.
- A questionnaire, available at the "Apply" link below.
*See below for examples of high-impact providers.
High-Impact Factor Internship Providers—A Sampling
Note: This is simply a representative list; students are not limited to these internship sites to be eligible for the High-Impact Internship Award.
- GateWay Community College Refugee English Teaching Internship
- AZ State Capitol Internship
- ASU Library Student Ambassador Internship
- The Pen Project Prison Education Internship
- ASU Art Museum Research Internship
- Piper Center Creative Writing Internship
- Linguistics Field Methods Internship
- English Secondary Education Internship
- St. Vincent de Paul Community Internship
- Seeds of Change and Green on Purpose Food Education Internship
- Read Better Be Better Young Learners Literacy Internship
- The International Rescue Committee Teaching Internship
- Refugee Focus Teaching Internship
- Phoenix Film Festival Internship
- TESOL in Brazil Summer Internship
- Heard Museum Research Internship
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Development Internship
- Make-A-Wish Arizona Wish Granting Internship
- Habitat for Humanity Community Internship
- Vive Peru English Teaching Internship
- Project Humanities Internship