Error messageImage resize threshold of 10 remote images has been reached. Please use fewer remote images.
The ASU Department of English's biennial Chaucer Celebration commemorates the life and work of medieval author Geoffrey Chaucer with events such as film festivals, concerts, performances, and academic discussions.
2022: Eighth Biennial ASU Chaucer Celebration
Chaucer Returns to the Movies
1st Prize—high school students: $500 | 1st Prize—ASU students: $500 | More prizes TBA
As part of the ASU Chaucer Celebration 2022: "Chaucer Returns to the Movies," we invite high school students in the Phoenix metro area and ASU undergraduates in good standing to submit an original film. Specifically, we're looking for a video—no more than 5 minutes long—of a scene from one of the works of Geoffrey Chaucer.
- The submission must be or contain your original video of a scene from one of the works of Geoffrey Chaucer. Submissions can be a maximum of 5 minutes long and must contain the names of every person appearing in the video. Contestants are responsible for any licensing of images or copyrighted material used in their videos. We prefer work that is suitable for most adult audiences, and would likely be rated PG-13 or TV-14.
- You must be a high school student in the Phoenix metro area (including Ahwatukee and the East Valley cities) or an ASU undergraduate in good standing.
- You must be in attendance (in person or via Zoom) at the awards ceremony at ASU-Tempe on Thursday, April 7, 2022, 9:00-11:00 a.m. (location details to follow). Your award-winning video will be shown to all those assembled at the awards ceremony.
- Your video must be available only at Vimeo, YouTube, or your video blog, where it must be publicly accessible. Include the URL for it on our submission page by March 20, 2022 with your name, email contact, name of high school or ASU student ID number, and telephone number (minors must include the name, email address, and telephone number of a parent or guardian who can grant permission for the video to be reposted in public). You, or your parent/guardian must also click the button allowing us to share and report the video. Winners will be notified before the awards ceremony.
- Every person appearing in the video must sign an ASU Release Form. You can upload signed forms to the submission page. Awards will be withheld until all release forms are received.
ASU sponsors of the 2022 Chaucer Celebration include the Dean of Humanities in The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Department of English and its Creative Writing Program, Arizona Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, ASU Library, Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing, Institute for Humanities Research, Sidney Poitier New American Film School, and Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College.
For further information, contact Professor Richard Newhauser, Department of English: Richard.Newhauser@asu.edu
Download printable video contest flyer: asu-chaucer-film-contest-2022-poster-update-aug-2021.pdf
2020: Seventh Biennial ASU Chaucer Celebration
Chaucer Goes to the Movies: April 16, 2020 | asu-chaucer-film-contest-2019-poster-updated-2020-final.pdf
Film contest winners
First Prize: ASU Undergraduate Film
The Pardoner's Tale (Short Film). Directed by Quincy Ray Barham. Starring Isaiah Lara, Nathan Merck, and Canyon DiMare.
Second Prize: ASU Undergraduate Film
The Cook's Tale. Written by Claudia Deley and Briyannah E. Simmons. Directed by Briyannah E. Simmons. Edited by Ross Holding. Starring Patrick D. Surface-Grimsley, Lucas Dern, David Huff, Eric Davis, and Briyannah E. Simmons.
First Prize: High School Student Film
The Knight's Tale: Combat Between Palamon and Arcite. Written by Sebastian Owens. Directed by Sebastian Owens and Suzanna Anderson. Starring Elias Enriquez, Tanner French, and Sebastian Owens.
2018: Sixth Biennial ASU Chaucer Celebration
2016: Fifth Biennial ASU Chaucer Celebration
The Art(s) of Being Geoffrey Chaucer: March 18, 2016 | chaucerflyer2016final.pdf
2014: Fourth Biennial ASU Chaucer Celebration
Chaucerian Comedy and the Senses (of Humor): April 18, 2014 | chaucercelebration14.pdf
2012: Third Biennial ASU Chaucer Celebration
Chaucer's England—Sights, Sounds, Poetry: March 30, 2012 | chaucer12revised.pdf
2010: Second Biennial ASU Chaucer Celebration
Chaucer and Religion: April 1-2, 2010 | chaucerflyer10final.pdf
2009: First ASU Chaucer Celebration
Chaucer's New Easter Clothes Day: April 3, 2009 | chaucer_program_09.pdf