Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Information about the Department of English graduate programs can be obtained online  or you can e-mail (or call 480-965-7454). In peak times, response to emails and calls may take up to 48 hours to return Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. MST. Please look through the FAQs to see if your question can be answered in the meantime.

The time it will take each student to complete a graduate degree program in English will vary depending on several factors (i.e. a student attends classes on a full-time basis, etc.). Generally speaking, the time to degree for the Master of Arts (M.A.) program is about two years. The MTESOL program is designed to be completed in three semesters. The MFA program takes three years. The time to degree for the Ph.D. program is about five years (for students with a master’s degree).

It is a Graduate College policy that master's students must complete their degrees within six years. Ph.D. students have ten years from admission (five years from candidacy).

Yes. A reading knowledge of a language other than English is required for some of our programs (please check your specific program requirements for details). This does not apply to students whose first language is not English. See ways to fulfill this requirement. Students should fulfill their language requirement early in the program so it does not hold up graduation.

If students choose to take the translation exam to satisfy the language requirement, they must be enrolled in at least one graduate-level English course during the semester or summer session in which they take the exam. Language exam results must be posted before the student can schedule a defense. Visit the School of International Letters and Cultures for more information on the exam. The language exam is an exit requirement (not entrance requirement). There is a $100 fee to take the translation test.

The iPOS becomes the official record of your program plans and is a listing of what you have already taken, are presently taking, and will take to complete your requirements. It is also the official declaration of your committee. Students must have an approved iPOS on file before registering to take the foreign language examination or before the language can be updated.  PhD students must have an approved iPOS with a full committee before undertaking the PhD exams.  It is recommended to submit the iPOS early in the program.

The iPOS must be filed before the student has completed 50 percent of the program. For a 30-credit program, that would be before 15 credits. PhD students must file the iPOS before their 42nd credit. Failure to file before this time may result in a hold on the student’s registration. The departmental procedure for filing the iPOS is online.  The iPOS can be submitted with just a committee chair. Committee members can be added at a later date.  If the student does not have a committee chair yet, the program director can be listed as chair in order to get the iPOS submitted and approved.  A committee change can be done later to update committee chair and members. Questions about  iPOS can be directed to the student's graduate advisor:  Master's programs:; PhD programs:;  MFA

You simply submit a course change request to swap out a class.

Students can see all courses offered here: Make sure to select the correct campus when searching.

Part time status is taking two courses a semester. Full time status is taking at least three courses a semester. Students are not able to register for more than 18 credits per semester without approval from the advisor.

Continuous enrollment is required (fall, spring). The Graduate College states that a student must be registered for a minimum of one graduate credit hour during all phases of their graduation (fall, spring, and summer only if utilizing university resources or applying for graduation). Students have the option of petitioning for a leave of absence – or a "maintain continuous enrollment" request. This is submitted through the Plan of Study (iPOS) in the Petition section, and does not affect continuous enrollment. Failure to register or request a leave will result in automatic withdrawal from the program.

Note: W (withdraw) and X (audit) do NOT count as continuous enrollment. A 400-level class does NOT count toward continuous enrollment for graduate students, unless it is listed on the iPOS.

Download the Independent Study form. Complete the top portion and obtain the required signature. If you are doing thesis, research, dissertation, or applied project you must get your committee chair’s signature on the “instructor” line. If you are doing a reading and conference, you must obtain the signature of the professor with whom you will be working. Return the completed and signed form to the English Department main office RBH 170 or to the Graduate Program Manager in RBH 125 for clearance to register. You will be able to register within 48 hours of returning the form.

This procedure is also used for Continuing Registration. Note: Continuing Registration (595 or 795) CANNOT be used on a graduate plan of study

Note: This procedure is used to grant registration clearance only. Students must still register for this through the online registration system. Make sure to indicate the correct number of credits, as the default is one.

Yes. The non-thesis option for the master's program concentrations requires 27 hours of coursework and a three-hour applied project. The thesis option consists of 24 hours of coursework and six thesis hours.

English graduate students must maintain a 3.0 grade point average each semester. In order to graduate from ASU, graduate students must have a 3.0 overall GPA, a 3.0 iPOS GPA, and a 3.0 graduate GPA. If you fall below a 3.0 overall GPA, you will be put on academic probation by the Graduate College.

Student are automatically assigned a graduate advisor when they are admitted.

To schedule a room for your defense, please submit this form.   Allow ample time, as obtaining a room can sometimes take up to 72 hours. You MUST have a room already confirmed before you schedule your defense with the Graduate College. The online defense scheduling system does NOT book rooms. Defenses are scheduled in your iPOS at least ten working days before the date of the defense. Contact your graduate advisor to confirm that all requirements and milestones have been met.

Format Approval: After your defense is scheduled, you must submit your document for Format Review. Students must submit documents through their iPOS by clicking on the Format tab and uploading a Word or PDF document as an attachment. If multiple files, please submit as a compressed zip file. Documents should only be submitted after consultation with the student’s committee chair and must be a complete, defense-ready document. Students who need to submit a formatted document are required to use the Graduate College Format Wizard.  The link can be found in your iPOS Format Tab. The Wizard employs ASU’s formatting guidelines to generate a template into which you insert your document’s text. For more information on the format process, click here.  Please direct any format questions to Students will be sent two reminder emails regarding final revisions and ProQuest deadlines.

All oral defenses of theses and dissertations are announced in the English Department via e-mail and posted on the department’s event website. Once you have officially scheduled your defense with the Graduate College, please send an e-mail to Sheila Luna, and include student name, thesis/dissertation title, date and time of defense, room, committee chair, committee members, and a brief abstract. The abstract and above information should be in the body of the e-mail, not as an attachment.

Approximately 10 hours per week for a 3 credit hour course. 

The English department has an excellent placement rate. For information on where our alumni are placed, visit the dissertation titles and placements page.

Contact Graduation Office either by phone at 480-965-3256 or by email to request that your current application be rolled to the next semester.  You do not need to pay the fee again as your original payment will remain on file for up to five years.

Graduate Commencement: This ceremony is university-wide. Doctoral candidates are hooded by their faculty directors and cross the stage when their name is announced. Master's candidates will be hooded by one of the Marshals of Investiture, but they will not be individually recognized or cross the stage. Degrees are conferred at Commencement

Convocation:  This ceremony is for the particular college.  Graduates are individually recognized and cross the stage at college convocation events and special interest ceremonies. Students receive a diploma cover at The College Convocation, and it is for both undergraduate and graduate students within The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Ceremonies are subject to change. Please contact with questions.