News & Events
ASU Writing Programs puts on a number of events every academic year and also sends out reminders about events related to rhetoric, composition, and the teaching of writing. We also regularly forward news about these topics to our teachers, students, and other interested people.
Writing Programs Fall Convocation, August 13, 2018
The single PDF file Writing Programs Fall Convocation contains the following:
- Agenda of Writing Programs Fall Convocation
- Welcome and remarks by Shirley Rose, Director of Writing Programs
- Acknowledgement of award-winning teachers by Sarah Duerden
- Plenary talk "Defense Against the Dark Arts: Teaching Writing in an Era of Youth Activism" by David Boyles
- Handout for plenary talk "Defense Against the Dark Arts"
- 2019 ASU Composition Conference Announcement by Adelheid Thieme
- ASU Library Resources
- Helpful links: Title IX, Disability Resources Center, DREAMzone
For additional questions, please contact Adelheid Thieme, Associate Director of Writing Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Writing Programs Fall Convocation: August 14, 2017
The single PDF Fall Convocation 2017 contains the following:
• Agenda of Fall 2017 Convocation (with links to ASU Composition Conference on February 24, 2018, and Non-Tenure Track Faculty Resources)
• Welcome by Shirley Rose, Director of Writing Programs
• Information about NEW Spring 2018 Convocation
• Presentation by Disability Resources Center
• Orientation to Library Resources
• Links to Library Resources
For news and information about upcoming events related to ASU Writing Programs, please visit our Facebook Page or see Tweets by @ASU_Writing.
The ePortfolio Showcase is a yearly celebration of student and teacher portfolios presented through Digication. Teachers nominate their students, and a committee of Writing Programs teachers judges the nominated portfolios and selects 12 winning student portfolios to be awarded prizes. Teachers are also encouraged to submit their teaching portfolios in this contest. For questions, please email Adelheid Thieme, Associate Director of Writing Programs, at email@example.com.
Please select the links below to gain full access to the winning entries of the 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, and 2016 ePortfolio Showcase for both student and teacher portfolios:
student and teacher eportfolio winners 2020
2018 eportfolio student and teacher winners
2016 - See winning ePortfolios:
See the links below to browse the 2016 Student e-Portfolios on Digication
2015 - Winners have been highlighted by the English Department CLICK HERE
Engage the Charter
Writing Programs invites you to participate in our ongoing effort to engage the ASU Charter.
In combination with Dean of Humanities George Justice’s roundtable talk at the ASU Composition Conference on February 25, every member of Writing Programs is invited to submit a developed idea for how Writing Programs can support the University Charter. The best submissions will receive cash prizes between $250 and $400!
All types of ideas, large or small, are welcome. Some examples might include:
- a production or event
- an installation or exhibit
- a collection of material
- a classroom activity
- a course curriculum
- a program-wide initiative
Key Dates & Submission Deadlines
- February 25: The initial discussion and brainstorming at #ASUCompConf17
- March 25: Deadline to submit proposals
- April 25: Deadline to submit presentations of winning proposals
- (These may be highlighted at the e-Portfolio Showcase)
For more complete submission information and guidelines, click here submission guidelines
Click the image below or link here for the most up to date vision of the ASU Charter
Each semester, ASU Writing Programs publishes the Writing Notes Newsletter. Writing Notes includes articles about Writing Programs initiatives, articles about teaching writing, biographies of new Writing Programs teachers, and accomplishments by Writing Programs teachers. The newsletter is produced by the Writing Notes committee and Writing Programs administrative team members.
writing programs newsletter fall 2017
writing notes fall 2013 NF