Computing Equipment Policy
For information on acceptable use of ASU computing and communications resources, see Academic Affairs Policies and Procedures Manual (ACD 125).
In order to meet ASU's sustainability goals, all equipment must be EPEAT Gold certified as per the ASU Purchasing Manual code PUR 210: Green Purchasing. You can search for EPEAT certification at http://www.epeat.net/.
Computer and Technology-Related Purchase Workflow
When making a computer and/or technology-related purchase use the following workflow:
- If you have funding, verify your balance with the appropriate person in the Department Financial Team.
- Contact Bruce Matsunaga to get a quote (ASU pricing is often different because of ASU purchasing rules).
Department Computer Policy
In keeping with the university computing standard, the unit will provide tenure-track faculty members with a single computer (desktop or laptop). This change is necessary to begin the process of creating a sustainable, computer replacement schedule. In order to receive a replacement computer, you will be required to turn in all of your ASU computers (desktops and laptops).
In the event that you cease to be employed by the Department of English, you are required to contact Bruce Matsunaga (email@example.com) to arrange for the return of your equipment.
For more extensive IT policies, refer to the CLAS IT Policies.
Request a Replacement Computer
Contact Bruce Matsunaga
Information for New Track-Faculty
Your initial computer purchase will come out of your ASU start-up account. The department will subsequently replace a single computer based on priority and budgetary limitations after your initial computer’s life span (approximately 5 years). Due to the wait for replacement computers due to our budgetary limitations, we recommend purchasing a replacement or supplemental computer at the end of your start-up. Please note that any computer you order must meet the ASU criteria listed under Custom Technology Orders (See the Standard Configurations tab).
- Desktop – Dell OptiPlex 5080 minitower or SFF with a 24” monitor or Dell OptiPlex All-in-one, Microsoft Surface Studio
- Laptop - Dell Latitude 14” 5000 or 7000 series, Microsoft Surface Laptop
- Ultrabook/tablet – Latitude 2-in-1, Dell XPS 13, Microsoft Surface Pro
Mac Standard Configuration
- Desktop – iMac 21.5” or 27"
- Laptop – MacBook Pro 13” or 16"
- Ultrabook/tablet – MacBook Air 13”, iPad Pro
Custom Technology Orders
We can purchase other types of computers for individuals with their own funds (startup, grants, etc.) under the following conditions:
- You may contact Bruce Matsunaga (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance and a quote to provide the business team.
- Remember that all equipment must be EPEAT Gold certified as per the ASU Purchasing Manual code PUR 210: Green Purchasing. You can search for EPEAT certification at http://www.epeat.net/.
- All computers must be equipped with a TPM chip for encryption.
- All purchases must be purchased through an approved vendor. Contact the business team about approved vendors.
- 3-5 year warranty is required (when available).
- Purchased items are ASU property and will be property controlled through ASU.