Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)
DEI Progress Report
This is an ongoing website to inform English Department students, staff, faculty and the public about progress on DEI issues raised within the department.
The English department is committed to fostering diversity, equity, inclusion and access. In doing so, we adhere to policy approved by the university and The Board of Regents of the University of Arizona. The university’s policy statement, ACD 401: Prohibition Against Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation, and the Board of Regents policy, Nondiscrimination and Anti-Harassment, are available on their sites.
This is what we have accomplished and are working to accomplish.
TA training has been revamped to include interviews with experts that may be posted as resources for not just TAs, but the department more broadly on writing pedagogy as informed by issues of LGBTQIA+, anti-racism, disability, feminism, cultural rhetorics, and critical race studies. Editing of the TA training videos has been completed and they will be used this coming year.
The coversheet for annual evaluations has been revised to include a DEI line for research/creative activity, teaching, and service.
Coordinate with College DEI
We are coordinating with the College DEI Advisory Council and have provided them with our DEI survey results.
In Progress / Ongoing
List of DEI-related resources
The list at the bottom of this page provides a few of the available resources at ASU.
2023 DEI survey
A new, updated survey for 2023 has been created and survey results will be reported upon its completion.
- ASU Ombudsperson: https://provost.asu.edu/committees/ombudspersons-committee
- Where and how to direct complaints to HR regarding harassment or discrimination: https://urr.asu.edu/
- Getting workplace accommodations: https://cfo.asu.edu/workplace-accommodations
- The Office of Inclusive Excellence site (https://inclusion.asu.edu/) has many resources, including
- Diversity information/resources for graduate students: https://graduate.asu.edu/diversity-resources
- ASU’s official diversity statement: https://inclusion.asu.edu/diversity
- SafeZone resources/training for LGBTQIA+ inclusion: https://eoss.asu.edu/student-and-cultural-engagement/culture/safezone
- Provost Native American Advisory Council: https://provost.asu.edu/committees/provost-native-american-advisory-council-p-naac
- Information on the Faculty Women of Color Caucus: https://inclusion.asu.edu/faculty-women-color-caucus
- Committee for Campus Inclusion: https://inclusion.asu.edu/committee-campus-inclusion
- Multicultural Communities of Excellence center and its current programming: https://eoss.asu.edu/multicultural-communities
- The International Students and Scholars Center (https://issc.asu.edu/) has resources and information for international students and faculty about visas, policy, taxes, etc.